czwartek, 1 września 2011

01.09.11


I don't like mangas at all. Most of them are terrible in many aspects. Poor plot, ridiculous anatomy of the characters and dull cliche repetition are only some of the more obvious. Yet, for some mysterious reason, people keep reading them, completely ignoring the west comic school.
But then again, there are notable exceptions. One of them is Junji Ito who fills a terrible hole in the market and indeed there are few good horror comics. And when I say good horror comics, I mean it. Too much ink has been spilled only to produce laughable abortions. Thank God that Junji Ito is different.

 
But what really hit me in all his works is that he actually tells stories and makes art. No grotesque big-eyed girls staring at you from every page. And yet you can easily pick his style from the crowd. It's distinct due to its anatomical realism or, perhaps better said, surrealism. Either way, things he draws look convincing and that is the point. His art and stories do stir emotions in the sea of dullness and misunderstanding.



(Images from: Secret of the Haunted Mansion, Uzumaki)

10 komentarzy:

  1. Don't like Magas too. They are so unrealistic

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. my friend told me to read this manga during class and it was pretty creepy

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Oh God what is this, this is awful...

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. The line art is pretty dope. I like it.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. I'd suggest you read the Berserk manga...Its...different.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. Wow, nice drawing but.. kinda creepy! I agree. Some mangas are just pointless yet I see a lot of my friends obsessing over them.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  7. First one reminds me of the demon from Insidious.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  8. Ah! WOW! That looks like real drawings now! I'm tired too of mangas always being the same ... and people trying to immitate them!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  9. That's like a dream. very surreal dream.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  10. Are those from Uzumaki? Weird shit about people turning into spiral-shaped things.

    OdpowiedzUsuń